Monday, November 26, 2007

The Thanksgiving Weekend From Hell...

Whoa...the last 2 days were bad. So bad that I just couldn't bring myself to wade into poop and mess another day in a row. For some reason, my Manager is always complaining about the budget...so this weekend, he understaffed ALL three shifts, leaving no CNAs on the floor at all, nurses having 5-6 tele patients and a patient load that rivalled a nursing home/post op unit. Only the sickest patients were still in the hospital this Thanksgiving weekend, and everyone was stressed to the max.

Tempers were short, mistakes were happening and we had 4 incident reports in 2 days and 3 falls on Friday. There is only so much you can do and only so many places you can be at one time, at the end something starts to suffer.

Luckily the only aspects my patients suffered in was that they didn't get dinner until 8pm both nights...which is about 2.5 hours late but as soon as I could get to it. In addition, I had 2 patients to feed, which left me charting after midnight on the clock. Night shift actually begged me to stay for a few hours to help them out (they were at 6 patients each) but my tired, bedraggled body could barely make it down the stairs home.

As soon as I got home, I was assailed by sickle cell pain and knew that once again I had over done it. I had to call out today just to get the pain under control and as I'm writing this I'm still dealing with the aftershocks. The whole staff is mutiny with the Management and I have a feeling that this will be one of the main discussions on Tuesdays staff meeting.

1 comment:

NocturnalRN said...

You have been tagged, Go to my post about "I'guess I've been tagged" to see the rules. You have to do it. It is apparently a rule......:) Hope all is better.